Volunteers Make A Difference
Volunteers have an enormous impact on the health and well-being of communities, particularly small ones like ours. They - You - Make a tremendous difference in our day-to-day lives, shaping the quality of our communities and the diversity of our opportunities.
- Volunteers deliver critical services—from serving as volunteer fire fighters and emergency medical technicians (EMTs), to delivering meals to homebound seniors, to keeping our Town's committees active.
- Volunteers help to keep our streets, parks, green spaces, and water clean and safe for everyone.
- Volunteers tutor, teach, mentor, coach, and support young people and families with everything from math homework to assisting struggling readers, to coaching hockey and baseball.
- Volunteers walk dogs, pet cats, clean cages, help with adoptions and feedings, and help organizations like animal shelters and wildlife rehabilitation centers.
- Volunteers plan blood drives, bake and book sales, and a plethora of other events -- with proceeds finding their way back to people with needs and/or to ways to continually improve our quality of life in Presque Isle
- Volunteers take tickets and encourage donations at festivals, lead games and activities at events, and ensure that all array of events run smoothly from planning to event day to clean up and wrap up.
The Impact of No Volunteers
Finally, here's one more way to visualize the impact of volunteers. Try this little exercise: imagine if one day, all volunteers simply didn't show up.
What would our town, school, places of worship, and libraries look like? What basic needs would go unmet? What opportunities to grow, learn, and thrive as a society would be lost? The truth is you likely cross paths with a volunteer at least once if not several times a day, no matter where you are in the world.